|Zinn Dress Printed $148.00|
Since most brunch dishes are egg-based, it's been a a fun challenge to see what I could do sans animal products. At my recent 25th birthday party, I served up some tofu scramble (don't knock it until you've tried it), peach drop biscuits, Morningstar Farms soysauge (get it?), and Red Velvet cupcakes. Oh, and buckets of (strong) mimosas. It may have had something to do with the alcohol, but the crowd was pretty pleased .
|The food was infinitely better than this photograph portrays|
1 Tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped*
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 16 oz package mushrooms, sliced
2 bell peppers (any color), diced*
1 package extra firm tofu
2 cups spinach leaves
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oil in pan, and saute onion and garlic for a minute or two. Add mushrooms and pepper, sauteing until peppers are tender and onions are translucent.
2. Crumble tofu in a bowl and add to sauteing veggies.
3. Add spinach, turmeric, cumin, paprika, and nutritional yeast. Saute for 5-10 minutes, until tofu is yellow and heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
|Not a bad-looking apple in the bunch|
Peach Drop Biscuits
This is just the recipe for Easy Drop Biscuits with some canned peaches tossed in for sweetness and punch. (Think: easy crowd pleaser.)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) non-dairy margerine, like Earth Balance
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 can sliced peaches, drained and diced.
1. Heat oven to 400.
2. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. Add milk, and peaches, stirring just until moistened. (You may need to add a little extra flour to make up for the moisture of the peaches. No big.)
4. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 15-20 minutes.
I'll post the Red Velvet recipe later this week. (But trust me, you will be amazed.) Hope everyone is having a great Monday! Don't forget to check out the Joss and Main Lilly Pulitzer sale here.
*Organic veggies from Backyard Produce